The final work day.

I mentioned yesterday that Lillian had gone off on a secret mission.

The answer can now be revealed. We have created a new pole-lathe and green woodworking association. So far there are only two members, but we do have our own polo shirts complete with our unique badge. I had a cunning plan enter my head earlier about opening up the membership. Watch this space for further details.

Today was always going to be a busy day. It was also a long day. One of my early tasks was to turn the components to make a crucifix. The idea came to me whilst sitting in the church last Sunday. Ugandans are committed and practising Christians on the whole. You often see

Christian posters, crucifixes and rosary beads in shops, offices and other places. I think there is a ready market there for Lillian.

My crucifix was ten inches high and six inches wide. I kept the decorative beads fairly simple.

After a chat about this exercise I left Lillian to carry on. Julius had joined us late morning and was keen to observe Lillian and myself at work. Lillian finished her crucifix without any problems.

During that exercise we heard a strange buzzing sound gradually getting louder. We soon realised it a swarm of bees coming in our direction. When they arrived they quickly settled on the roof of the building next to us. Lillian and Julius were keen to keep their distance. I was more interested in keeping the work rolling on.

Ultimately, Lillian and Julius vacated the area after Julius was stung whilst swatting at a bee. Then it was Lillian’s turn to get stung. I’m not phased by bees and wasps and carried on working, and didn’t get stung. Eventually the bees settled and were not a problem.

Julius returned the tenon of leg for his single leg stool. He also made a quick seat for it. He was really pleased with the result, and so he should be.

Willy had been invited along as he had no work for the day. He helped in many ways. Between us we completed a high chopping block, legs for the shaving horse and a few other odds and ends.

Lillian and I had a quick run through various techniques that we had used during the last two months to jog her memory. And with that it a final clearing away session before heading home pretty well shattered.

Penultimate working day.

The main target for today had to be finishing Lillian’s stool. After setting up the equipment I set about preparing the top pieces for Lillian’s stool whilst she went off on a secret mission which will be revealed tomorrow.

The stool seat material was too thin as a single piece, so we prepared a second piece slightly smaller in size. Holes for the legs were bored and screw holes drilled. Sharp edges were removed and the wood generally tidied up. I left the rest for Lillian to do.

I then set about sawing a piece of tree trunk to length for making into legs for the shaving horse. After cleaving and axing I set about shaving each piece to tidy it up and to taper the top ends down close to one and a quarter inch. I then refined each leg until it fitted into a homemade gauge. These should / must be finished tomorrow.

Final task before Lillian returned was to cleave and shave two billets ready for the lathe.

So, Lillian returned and she set about returning the ends of the legs and stretchers. For non green woodworking folk green wood shrinks when it dries. If the wood has been turned it will go oval when it dries. As such it needs to be ‘returned’ to make it round again. Oval tenons do not fit well into round mortises.

We then set about joining both seat pieces with glue and woodscrews and boring the holes into the main seat through the reinforcing board. Then, finally we measured the centres on the legs to receive the stretchers. After boring the holes and a final check over we did a dry assembly. This went well, so adhesive was applied. The final assembly also went well and a fine stool had been created. By now it was turned seven pm and set about putting away for the night.

The tree shown is a paw paw, one of the earlier photos shows a close up of the stages of fruit development. Also shown here is one of my favourite places, the local bank where I withdraw 500,000 Shillings cash each time. A Shilling multi millionaire!