Lillian’s first set of stool legs.

Yesterday I gave Lillian some guidance on chair and stool leg needs and designs. I showed her how to do a half size and half profile leg pattern using the High Wycombe pattern and my own personal pattern.

To offer an alternative I did a simple pattern with gentle swellings and hollows which was made up on the spur of the moment. We discussed the merits of each and then left her to develop some ideas. Her second design really appealed to her and was keen to make it. The resulting legs are shown in photos below. The leg photographed is her fourth one and is shown during roughing out, partly finished and completed with the other three legs in a typical ‘Lillian pose’. She loves to pose and is good at it. She’ll probably demand that I delete that detail. No chance Lillian.

As I said earlier these were her first attempt at making a set of matching legs.

I turned a slightly undersize billet to create a copy of her design. This guidance was based on my approach to making legs.

With the first leg she struggled to deal with the overall shaping techniques. She persevered and completed a most acceptable leg. With each successive leg the finish and accuracy improved. Her final leg took about half an hour to make from a pre-prepared billet.

I can’t easily express how proud I am of Lillian.

Whilst keeping an eye on Lillian’s progress I made a high chopping block for Lillian, something I’ve never done before. I’ll bore the leg holes tomorrow, and maybe create some legs too.

There two photos of some turned work, the paler item on right is one of Lillian’s stool legs freshly turned today. The darker item on the left was made about three weeks ago and has fully dried and I suspect has oxidised to show the figure much more clearly. Normally with this species the figure takes at least a week to show itself.

The species is known as Omusemba and according to one of Lillian’s friends who is taking an arboreal course at university the botanical name is Mirkamia Lukea. I should have checked this detail before making this post so I’m hoping she is right. I also hope she will be able to give botanical names to the trees featured in an earlier post.

Large diameters are tough to cleave with the fibres resisting to the bitter end. It cuts nicely with an axe and draw-knife. It turns very nicely and gives a really smooth finish.

3 thoughts on “Lillian’s first set of stool legs.

  1. Good job Lillian and the wood looks rather nice, I’ Look forward to seeing the finished stool. Will it have a woven seat?

    Like

    1. Sorry, I was distracted. I’ve never done a woven seat and only know the most basic details. I’ve not seen a woven seat in Uganda, sadly far too many plastic chairs used in our gardens. There is a sisal like rope used for a multitude of purposes which might suit the bill kind of like our seagrass.
      The wood we’re using are remnants from making the workbench. It’s a hard wood (Ugandan definition) with unknown figure. The thickness is a nominal 1 inch so two pieces will be ‘laminated’ together to create a workable thickness. Photos will be posted. Lillian turned a fifth leg today and is currently shaving two billets for the stretchers. The seat boards will be taken to the sawmill when we finish here in the hope they can get a decent finish.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s